The design on this bag is inspired by one of several proposed plans by architect Frederick J. Osterling during the renovation and additions to Clayton. Henry Clay Frick and his wife, Adelaide Howard Childs, purchased Clayton in 1882 for $25,000. At the time, the house was considerably smaller, an 11-room, Italianate-style building on a 1.43-acre parcel of land. By 1891, the family and the Fricks’ social stature both had outgrown the home as it was, and Osterling was hired to transform Clayton into the 23-room chateau-style mansion seen today.
This tote measures 14.5" wide by 15.5" high with 22" handles, and is made of 100% organic recycled cotton canvas.
The original blueprint made available courtesy of The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives.