Westmoreland Train Whistle

In 1911, Henry Clay Frick purchased a private train car and named it the Westmoreland. Helen Frick inherited the car and she had the interior rebuilt in 1926; she used it once, for a trip to the Pacific coast, and it was then displayed in Prides Crossing until 1940. At that time it was offered to presidential candidate Wendell Willkie, but with his defeat, the car was offered to and used by Charles J. Graham, president of the Pittsburgh and West Virginia Railway Co. The car came back to Helen after Graham’s retirement, and she later had the car dismantled in the 1950s.

The typescript on this wooden train whistle was taken from the china in Clayton, made specifically for use on the Frick’s private train car. Made in the USA.



Pin It